Recipe by dicentra
This comes from one of my food and wine cookbooks. I wish I could post the photo! So lovely. This would be a perfect salad for Valentine’s day. You could buy canned, sliced beets if you wanted to skip the roasting step.
Top Review by averybird
Wonderfully creative idea, and so cute!! All the more perfect that it was posted by someone named dicentra (the botanical name for bleeding heart plant). Used 1" small and 2" scalloped heart cookie cutters that came from Michaels (sold in a 6 pack in the decorating aisle). Now I'll have something else to make with them besides cookies. Thank you dicentra!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beets, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces arugula
- 4 ounces frisee, cored
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, snipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375. Wrap the beets in a large piece of aluminum foil and bake for an hour, or until tender.
- Let cool slightly and then peel and slice ¼ inch thick. Using a 1-inch heart cookie cutter, cut out as many hearts as possible from each slice.
- In a large glass bowl, whisk the oil with the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Add the arugula, frisee and the beet cut outs and toss. Mound on salad plates and sprinkle with the chives and serve.