Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my hubby's recipe and tastes amazing! I must say though that the large amount of bacon was quite alarming when I first saw him make this, but our family enjoys this dish a lot. We try not to make it too frequently but it is a hard habit to break. Day old rice works best but fresh rice right out of our rice cooker has been successful many times. He was taught how to cook this style of fried rice while in Hawaii.
- 453.59 g bacon
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 9.85 ml fresh ginger, grated
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 2.46 ml sesame oil
- 473.18 ml medium-grain white rice, precooked
- 4 eggs, cracked and beaten
- Cut bacon into half inch pieces and fry in a wok until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside leaving all the bacon grease in the wok.
- Sautee the peppers and onions in the bacon grease until almost tender. The onions should be slightly translusent. Add in the ginger.
- Push the vegetables to the side of the wok and add the rice, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Fry the rice until it shows signs of browning or crisping. It is okay if the vegetables begin to mix in at this point.
- Push aside the rice to make room to scramble the eggs. Once the eggs are cooked blend them into the rice and vegetables. It's okay if the vegetables and rice get into the eggs during the scrambling.
- Add reserved cooked bacon and mix well.
- Serve with extra soy sauce to taste.
OMG! The name says it all! I had a pound of peppered bacon in the fridge just waiting to be used here. I'm so glad you called for fresh ginger. I don't think you would have gotten that lovely flavor using dried. So, I thank you for sharing your recipe, Slatts. Made for ZWT6 as a member of the Voracious Vagabonds.
FANTASTIC fried rice! Worth the bacon. I made a half recipe with the full amount of veggies. I used low sodium tamari and toasted sesame oil...I also added fresh garlic. The mistake I made was to cook it in a cast iron pot...The rice ended up sticking so didn't brown. I refried it the next day in a non-stick skillet and it browned nicely. I really enjoyed the ginger in this. Made to honor Slatts doggies for the Pet Parade. Freddy Cat says thanks for the trip to Hawaii!