Recipe by SusieQusie
A wonderful low-fat alternative to traditional pork sausages. I've entered the recipe just as written but I prefer to up the oomph with double spices and herbs plus a dose of red pepper flakes. I've also added a smidge of fennel on occassion. I'm guessin' here but you could possibly use just poultry seasoning in place of the assortment of herbs and get a similar flavor. These can be quite dry if you use ground turkey breast (97% fat free). If you're OK with that, so be it. I prefer the 90% lean ground turkey. Still no gravy for those biscuits though ;-) NOTE: Chilling time IS included in prep time.
Top Review by justcallmetoni
Always in search of a way to make use ground turkey into breakfast sausage, the combination of herbs here looked appealing. I used the 93 percent lean ground turkey. As suggested in the introduction, I doubled the spices and added some crushed fennel seeds. The addition of the egg white made these one of the moister turkey sausages tried, and something I will now include in preparing any recipe of this kind. The spices were good and well matched - definitely the right proportions - but I still found it a little under-seasoned. I think garlic or onion powder would have added to these, as well as more fennel or red pepper flakes as noted. Thanks!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon summer savory
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients and stir well.
- Shape into 12 patties and chill for at least an hour.
- Coat a nonstick skillet HEAVILY with cooking spray.
- Over medium heat, cook patties ~5 minutes on each side. (I'm guilty of smashing on them with a spatula to see if the juices are clear yet. This only serves to dry them out even more. But old habits -- ).
- Serving size for nutritional data = 1 patty.