1/2 Photos of Heart-Shaped Dried Cherry and Chocolate Chip Scones
Chef #221488's Note:
Wonderful scones from epicurious.com. I didn't have a 2" heart-shaped cookie cutter so I just cut the dough into 12 triangular shapes. Very easy and absolutely delicious. I love the combo of orange, vanilla, almond, cherry and chocolate. A must-try!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated (packed)
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup dried tart cherry, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup buttermilk, chilled
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup milk (for glaze)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1Butter and flour baking sheet.
- 2Whisk 2 cups flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Add butter and grated orange peel; rub in with fingertips until coarse meal forms. Mix in chocolate chips and dried cherries.
- 3Whisk buttermilk, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and almond extract in small bowl to blend.
- 4Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients; stir with fork until dough comes together in moist clumps.
- 5Gather dough into ball. Press out dough on lightly floured surface to 3/4-inch thickness. Using 2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out scones. Gather scraps, press out dough and cut out additional scones.
- 6Transfer to baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.).
- 7Preheat oven to 400°F
- 8Brush scones lightly with milk; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- 9Bake until scones are crusty on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 15 minutes (or up to 20 minutes if refrigerated).
- 10Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Heart-Shaped Dried Cherry and Chocolate Chip Scones
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.4
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 34.4 mg
- Sodium 199.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 15.1 g
- Protein 3.6 g