Wonderful scones from epicurious.com. I didn't have a 2" heart-shaped cookie cutter so I just cut the dough into 12 triangular shapes. Very easy and absolutely delicious. I love the combo of orange, vanilla, almond, cherry and chocolate. A must-try!
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated (packed)
- 3⁄4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup dried tart cherry, coarsely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk, chilled
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup milk (for glaze)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Butter and flour baking sheet.
- Whisk 2 cups flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Add butter and grated orange peel; rub in with fingertips until coarse meal forms. Mix in chocolate chips and dried cherries.
- Whisk buttermilk, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and almond extract in small bowl to blend.
- Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients; stir with fork until dough comes together in moist clumps.
- Gather dough into ball. Press out dough on lightly floured surface to 3/4-inch thickness. Using 2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out scones. Gather scraps, press out dough and cut out additional scones.
- Transfer to baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.).
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Brush scones lightly with milk; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake until scones are crusty on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 15 minutes (or up to 20 minutes if refrigerated).
- Serve warm or at room temperature.