Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
The secret to making Swedish meat balls is: good meat- finely ground, finely chopped onion and thorough mixing of ingredients. From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988.
- 1 large onion, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄3 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons low-sodium beef bouillon granules
- In a covered saucepan, heat onion with water until onion pieces are soft.
- Mix onion, beef, pork, allspice, cloves, salt and bread crumbs thoroughly.
- Form into 30 medium balls.
- In skillet (or in oven at 350 degrees), brown meat balls.
- Remove balls to casserole dish.
- Make gravy by mixing together flour, milk, bouillon granules and drippings in the same skillet.
- Cook until thickened.
- Pour gravy over meat balls.
- Bake at 350 degrees or simmer until ready.