The secret to making Swedish meat balls is: good meat- finely ground, finely chopped onion and thorough mixing of ingredients. From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a covered saucepan, heat onion with water until onion pieces are soft.
- 2Mix onion, beef, pork, allspice, cloves, salt and bread crumbs thoroughly.
- 3Form into 30 medium balls.
- 4In skillet (or in oven at 350 degrees), brown meat balls.
- 5Remove balls to casserole dish.
- 6Make gravy by mixing together flour, milk, bouillon granules and drippings in the same skillet.
- 7Cook until thickened.
- 8Pour gravy over meat balls.
- 9Bake at 350 degrees or simmer until ready.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Heart Healthy Swedish Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.1
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 66.5 mg
- Sodium 446.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 26.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium beef bouillon granules