Recipe by DuChick
I have combined a few different methods of cooking this hearty grain and came up with my favorite way. I usually cook up a batch on the weekend and then scoop out a serving as I need it through the week. It reheats in the microwave perfectly! Listed below are some variations to the basic recipe...my favorite is pumpkin! These additions are not included in the nutrional analysis.
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pan, melt the margarine and add the oatmeal.
- Stir the oatmeal into the margarine and toast it until it's golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the boiling water and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover with a tight-fittig lid.
- Simmer for 25 minutes. Watch the mixture carefully and stir to prevent overflow and sticking to pan.
- After 25 minutes, add the milk to the oatmeal.
- Stir gently and cook on low for an additional 10 minutes.
- Scoop into a serving bowl and top with sweetener and milk, if desired.
- Variations to be added at same time as milk.
- (choose one):.
- *1/2 can pure pumpkin and 1 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice.
- *one chopped apple (with or without skins) and 1 teaspoons apple pie spice.
- *2 ripe, smashed bananas and 1 teaspoons cinnamon.
- *1 cup cranberries and 1 teaspoons cinnamon.