Prep 30 mins
Cook 57 mins
A more healthy spin on Mrs Stacy Casas Pumpkin Pie, If you have a cholesterol problem or you are diabetic, or you are on a low carb diet you will want to try this recipe.
WALNUT PIE CRUMB CRUST
- 1 1⁄3 walnuts, crumbled (in food processor)
- 4 -8 tablespoons soy nut butter (Acme sells it)
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute (the one that measures cup for cup like sugar)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
PUMPKIN PIE FILLING
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 2⁄3 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten (use 1 egg 2 egg whites)
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk (2/3 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar free soy slender vanilla-flavored soymilk (westsoy can be found at health food store)
- PUMPKIN PIE FILLING: Make pumpkin pie filling FIRST and cool in refrigerator or freezer. (because of the natural oils from the walnuts the pie filling MUST be baked separately and combined at the end. If you baked them together you may end up with an oily pie) It's really is worth the effort.
- To begin Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In mixing bowl combine pumpkin, splenda, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg
- Add eggs (1 egg 2 egg whites slightly beaten) Beat with fork lightly until combined
- Gradually stir in the evaporated milk and Soy milk; mix well Pour the filling into greased pie pan and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center of pie comes out clean.
- Cool COMPLETELY (either in fridge or freezer)
- WALNUT PIE CRUMB CRUST: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In food processor, combine all crust ingredients and process until well blended.
- Press into bottom and sides of ungreased 9-inch pie pan. Bake 7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool several minutes. Gently move the pie filling on top of the pie crust. Use a spatula or spoon to smooth out cracks. Put under broiler for a minute or two to even out filling.