Recipe by dogsandwoods
This is something that I've done for years in order to perk up my oatmeal without adding calories. It takes a few minutes, but is worth it. I came up with the idea when I was tiring of the taste of plain oatmeal.
Top Review by mums the word
I loved this method. Admittedly, I botched the first round and over browned the oats and they started to smell a bit burnt. So I chucked that batch and started again. Yummy results and I'll definitely make it again. Thanks for the recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup plain oatmeal (of your choice, but follow the serving size on the package)
- 1 cup water (again, follow the serving size on the package)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a medium skillet--I use cast iron--until it is medium hot to very hot.
- Put all of the oatmeal that you will be cooking in the pan.
- Stir constantly over medium high heat until oatmeal is just this side of dark brown. This gives it a nutlike flavor -- without the nuts and without the calories.
- Cook as per box instructions.
- You may add other cinnamon & sugar and/or raisins, but mind the calories.