Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe contains power packed ingredients that associated with heart health.
Make and share this Heart Healthy Flaxseed Muffin Mix recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup white flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed meal (flaxseeds ground in a coffee grinder)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat milk or 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray 12 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together applesauce, milk, honey, egg, and oil. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just combined.
- Fold in add-ins of choice, being careful not to over-mix the batter. Divide the batter equally between muffin cups. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- For Mix ins the sky is the limit. Try: 1 cup dried cranberries + ½ cup chopped pecans or ~ 2 cups fresh blueberries or ~ 1 cup mashed banana (instead of applesauce) + 1 cup chopped walnuts or ~ 1/2 cup pumpkin puree for 1/2 cup of applesauce or ~ 1 cup chopped apples with cinnamon.
- Try a topping: Oatmeal, cinnamon, and raisins or nuts like almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds.
- Or try adding extracts to the wet ingredients to add a flavor boost.).