Prep 1 hr
Cook 36 mins
David made these for Father's Day one year, and it has been a family favorite ever since! Nonfat yogurt, oven-baking, and hot sauce makes them a delicious and healthful treat. Don't be scared off by the quantity of hot sauce as the yogurt thoroughly tames the spice. Please note that removing the chicken fat and using nonfat yogurt makes this dish virtually fat-free. (For maximum safety, David HIGHLY recommends his triple-washing method.) Prep time does not include chilling time.
- 6 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, fresh, not frozen
- 32 ounces plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup hot sauce (like Frank's Red Hot)
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning, blend (like Mrs. Dash Grilling Seasoning for Chicken)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder (like McCormick California Style Garlic Powder with Parsley)
- 1 (21 ounce) box corn flake crumbs
- To Triple-Wash Chicken: Remove chicken breasts from pkg and place in colander. While rinsing chicken in colander with cold water, trim fat from each chicken breast with kitchen scissors. Place trimmed breast into separate bowl; do not return to colander! (Reserve trimmings for making chicken broth, if desired.) Once all breasts have been trimmed of fat, wash colander and kitchen scissors. Then return breasts to colander and rinse with cold water again. While rinsing, use kitchen scissors to cut breasts into strips or chunks (more kid-friendly), placing pieces into separate bowl. Do not return to colander! Once all breasts have been cut into pieces, wash colander. Return pieces to colander and rinse chicken one more time; drain well.
- Place yogurt, hot sauce, and seasonings into gallon-sized Ziploc Freezer bag. Mix well. Place chicken pieces into bag and mix well, making sure pieces are covered. Refrigerate in the coldest part of fridge at least 4 hrs or overnight. The colder the chicken, the better the results.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line large baking sheet with Reynolds Release Foil. Lightly coat foil with canola oil or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place 1/3 box of Corn Flake Crumbs into gallon-sized Ziploc Freezer bag. Put approximately 10 chicken pieces into bag and shake to coat. Remove pieces from bag and place on baking sheet (about 20-25 pieces/sheet). NOTE: After coating 20-25 pieces, discard Corn Flake Crumbs and put another 1/3 box into bag. Repeat as necessary.
- Bake 12 minutes; do not turn pieces over! Chicken will be golden brown on top. Do not overcook or chicken will be tough.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauces and raw veggies. Also great on buns and in wraps topped with your favorite greens, tomatoes, (red &/or green) onion, and other veggies. For condiments, we like light ranch dressing and flavored mayos and mustards. BBQ sauce would be great, too!
- NOTES: In order for coating to adhere properly, chicken mixture must be very cold. To make spicier, add cayenne pepper or use a hotter hot sauce or chili sauce. Use different seasoning blends such as poultry seasoning, other kinds of Mrs. Dash, or Paul Prodhomme's (love these!).
I made these for a Superbowl Party and they were a huge hit! YUMMY! We willbe making for years to come!
These were ok, but the next time I make them I will pound the chicken first. These just came out a little this for my liking, but the breading and seasoning were delicious!
I have tried many variations on oven fried chicken using Corn Flakes but the seasonings here may make this one of my favorites. I've even grilled the chicken without the coating and had some great kebobs. Though detailed and long, the triple washing technique is easy to follow and not very time consuming. My batch was scaled down to accommodate or tiny household (1 cup yogurt plus reduced spices). Thanks.