Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
EXTRA moist carrot. very dense mixture does not raise much but is absoultly FAB. I prepare in mini loafs and sharing with friend(I am the only one in the house who like Carrot cake)but everyone else is gradually trying this recipe and liking it. I omit the raisins and nuts and does great(if you ever wonder. Cuts very easily due to its denseness. Unfrosted "bars" Great for breakfast, no crumbs travels well in the car for on the go mornings.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 egg whites (best if room temp)
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13" X 9" baking pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flours, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and cloves, set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly beat in the sugar. Then slowly beat in the applesauce, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Using a spoon, stir in the flour mixture just until combined. Then stir in, one ingredient at a time, the crushed pineapple, carrots, walnuts and raisins.
- Spread mixture in prepared pan. Bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
This is delicious! My mother was skeptical about a "healthy cake" but was quick to change her mind. I did however, skip the pineapple, double the nuts, and substitute 2/3 cup of the 1 1/3 cup sugar for 1/3 honey and 1/3 agave nectar. Just for personal preference. Tell me if I'm really missing out on anything.
This cake is wonderful! Carrot cake is my daughters favorite and we have been looking for a healthy one that is good. I will be making it often.
VERY, VERY NICE CARROT CAKE, & that comes from one who knows carrot cake! Hands down more healthy than my own recipe (which I'll continue to make now & then!), & it is extremely good WITHOUT the frosting! Some carrot cakes NEED the frosting because the cake itself isn't very moist, but not so this one! Very tasty, very moist! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]