Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
EXTRA moist carrot. very dense mixture does not raise much but is absoultly FAB. I prepare in mini loafs and sharing with friend(I am the only one in the house who like Carrot cake)but everyone else is gradually trying this recipe and liking it. I omit the raisins and nuts and does great(if you ever wonder. Cuts very easily due to its denseness. Unfrosted "bars" Great for breakfast, no crumbs travels well in the car for on the go mornings.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 egg whites (best if room temp)
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13" X 9" baking pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flours, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and cloves, set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly beat in the sugar. Then slowly beat in the applesauce, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Using a spoon, stir in the flour mixture just until combined. Then stir in, one ingredient at a time, the crushed pineapple, carrots, walnuts and raisins.
- Spread mixture in prepared pan. Bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.