Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
It's hard to fit sweets into a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet, but these Blondies are definitely better for my heart than the traditional ones. I use whole grain flour, egg whites, and a bit of flaxseed meal (you can't really taste it, but studies show it does wonders for the heart).
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup light margarine, softened
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup egg white
- 1 tablespoon egg white
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease bottom and sides of 9x13-inch pan.
- In mixing bowl, stir together flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder & salt. Set aside.
- With electric mixer, cream together margarine & sugar, then beat in egg whites & vanilla. Blend well.
- Mixing at low speed, gradually add dry ingredients.
- Stir in pecans.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared baking dish. Bake 30 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting.