Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
Adapted from Kittencal's "Crispy Oven-Fried Cod Fish" #155754, this outstanding fish dish will become a fast favorite in your house, too. Even my pickiest eaters were coming back for 2nds, 3rds, 4ths... :-)
- 7 (8 ounce) cod fish fillets, frozen
- 10 ounces fish-fry mix (like Tony Chachere's Crispy Creole Fish Fry Mix)
- 1⁄2 cup white flour
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Partially thaw cod fillets in refrigerator. Fish is ready to be prepared when it is just beginning to soften. (Times will vary.).
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Place oven rack at second-lowest setting. Line baking sheet with Reynolds Release Foil and brush foil lightly with canola oil (to prevent sticking and crisp fish).
- Rinse fish under cold water. With a very sharp knife, slice each fillet horizontally.
- In a shallow bowl, blend egg whites and milk.
- In a gallon-sized Ziploc bag, combine fish fry mix and flour.
- Place one fillet into Ziploc bag, close tightly, and shake carefully to coat; coat well. Reach into bag and pick up fillet. While still inside bag, shake fillet gently to remove any excess.
- Place fillet into egg mixture, coating well. Remove from egg mixture, shaking gently to remove any excess.
- Return fillet to Ziploc bag; seal tightly. Shake bag again to coat; coat well. Remove fillet from bag, making sure to remove any excess. Place onto baking sheet.
- Repeat for each fillet.
- Bake fillets for 6 minutes; turn over carefully. Bake another 6 minutes and remove from oven.
- Serve alone, on a good bun, or in your favorite wrap with lots of fresh veggies and low-fat condiments.
- (My kids absolutely devoured these in lettuce wraps!).