This soup is so easy to put together. Warms your heart and soul. Toppings are all optional, you don't want to miss out though :) Made for RSC #11
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped, approx 1/4 cup
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 ounces smoked ham steaks, diced
- 2 (15 ounce) canswhole black beans, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans refried black beans
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 30 ounces chicken stock
- 8 tablespoons gouda cheese, grated fine
- 4 key limes, just a squeeze over soup before serving
- In large pot, heat oil with medium heat and add shallots and garlic.
- Saute until translucent, approx 2 minutes.
- Add chopped ham and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add all beans. To drain black beans, place hand on top of opened can,
- slowly turn over and let the juice flow out between your fingers. It's kind of fun :).
- Mix well; the refried beans will need to be broken up.
- Add creamed corn and chopped sun dried tomatoes.
- Add cayenne pepper to taste.
- Add chicken stock and bring to simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
- Serve in bowls topped with grated Gouda and a squeeze of lime juice.
- I would suggest all the toppings too :).
- Toppings: (Optional).
- Avocado, cubed.
- Cilantro, torn into small pieces.
- Fat free sour cream.
- Tortilla chips.
- Big Spoon :).