Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Rather than the traditional dark Christmas pudding, made months in advance and fed with alcohol, this can be made a couple of days before Christmas, and is far less boozy!
- 1 orange rind
- 1 lemon rind
- 1 carrot, grated
- 4 ounces glace cherries
- 12 ounces mixed dried fruit
- 50 ml Grand Marnier
- 150 ml brandy
- 175 g vegetable suet
- 1⁄4 lb self raising flour
- 5 ounces muscovado sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (mixed)
- 175 g white breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Grease and line a glass 2pt basin or use a plastic basin with a ready made lid.
- Soak the orange and lemon rind, grated carrot, cherries and fruit in the spirits for at least an hour, but preferably overnight.
- Mix together the suet, flour, sugar, mixed spice and breadcrumbs.
- Add this to the fruit mix, and beat in 2 eggs.
- Transfer this to the basin, leaving an inch at the top.
- Cover the top of the basin with baking parchment and use the plastic lid or a double layer of foil.
- Steam over a low heat (watching carefully so that it doesn't run out of water!) or in a slow cooker for 7 hours. Alternatively cook for 5 hours when you make it, and then for a further 2 on Christmas day to warm up.