Prep 1 min
Cook 25 mins
I modified dump cake recipe to save some calories but keep the yum factor. Sometimes I still add a pat or two of butter to the top for kicks. Frozen blueberries or canned can be substituted. Any berry would work- have tried raspberry-strawberry combo, super yummy. Grated lemon is a great addition too, especially if using "homemade buttermilk' (milk with a tablespoon of lemon juice)
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 (18 ounce) box cake mix (any flavor)
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 X 13 pan.
- Rinse blueberries and let drain in a colander.
- Dump blueberries into pan, dump sugar over them, sprinkle some cinnamon over top, dump cake mix over blueberries-sugar mixture.
- Shake pan to evenly distribute.
- Pour buttermilk over cake mix- tipping pan to evenly distribute.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and a teaspoon of sugar over top.Do not stir.
- Bake in oven until top is light brown and blueberries start top poke through.
- Should look solid and cakey- not wet.
- Oven time could be between 20-35 minutes.
I used Pillsbury's sugar-free yellow cake mix. The flavor is good, but there is not enough liquid to cover all the dry cake mix. The dry mix left a slightly funny aftertaste. I took this cake to work and my coworkers enjoyed it. The average ratings came out 3 1/2 stars. I am giving it 4 stars because it is "healthyish." Made for My 3 Chefs October 2013.