Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Mmmm! Eating these pancakes is like eating a piece of fall and winter. They are fluffy, flavourful, and best of all, healthy! They have very high fibre and protein, as well as full of nutrients. These are all around good! Also, they are freezeable. If you would like even lighter pancakes, replace one of the tablespoons of pumpkin with an additional tablespoon of canola oil.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (or melted margarine or butter)
- 2 eggs or 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 7 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar (or more, for a sweeter pancake)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 cup pecans (optional) or 1⁄4 cup cinnamon baking chips (optional)
- Combine egg substitutes, pumpkin, sugar, oil, and milk in a large bowl.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients (excluding optional pecans/cinnamon chips) in a smaller bowl.
- Mix in the dry flour mixture with the wet pumpkin mixture until smooth, folding in pecans or cinnamon chips (if necessary). Dont over mix.
- LET BATTER SIT for 5 minutes (no more) -- this lets the oat bran absorb. Add a touch of milk to thin out if necessary.
- Pour batter onto WELL greased griddle (at about 350F-375F) and let sit until batter starts to bubble. Flip and brown. Enjoy warm with a dot of butter and maple syrup.
- ENJOY! (note: these are best consumed immediatly for they fall slightly after they have cooled, but if I have leftovers I do one of two things: If I am planning to eat leftovers within 2 days, I put leftovers in the fridge and stick them in in the toaster the next day. If not, I freeze them by cooling the extras on a cooling rack, then once completely cool, I wrap in foil and pop in freezer. Reheat by microwaving and then toasting.).
Deeelish!!! I highly recommend this. I don't even LIKE pancakes and I LOVED this recipe!!!
I made these for my daycare kids and my own this morning. Not only are they healthy (my main objective), but the kids pigged out on them! I'm sending this recipe to all of their parents. I didn't add nuts because of potential allergies and I didn't have any cinnamon chips. I can't wait to try this with cinnamon chips! I also doubled the recipe because I thought 3-4 servings wouldn't be much. Now I have leftovers to enjoy for breakfast for myself for the next few days.
I absolutely love these pancakes! My daughter and husband love 'em!