Recipe by Ally =)
This is a great dinner roll recipe similar to one already on Recipezaar. However, this one uses healthier ingredients for people who are watching their nutrition. This recipe also uses a bread machine.
Top Review by DeeLynn
This is top notch! I was out of egg substitute so used a real egg; also added 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup wheat germ, wondering if it might be too dry, but it came out great! I didn't like the roll recipe that came with my machine, so have been looking for a good wheat roll recipe--this is it.
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 4 tablespoons soft margarine
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄8 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix milk, yogurt, honey and margarine in a small mixing bowl, heat in microwave for 1 minute. Stir until the butter is melted.
- Place ingredients into bread machine and select the dough cycle.
- When the cycle is finished, shape dough into equally sized rolls. (I make 18).
- Place in lightly greased muffin pans. You can also use a cookie sheet, but in the muffin pans they keep their shape better.
- Cover the rolls with a damp dish towel or cloth and let rise for about a half hour. Placing them to rise on the stove top while preheating the oven will help them rise.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve while warm for best taste.