Recipe by Jujubegirl
I've adapted a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook recipe to have whole wheat, flax, bran, and whey for extra protein, as well as some spices. I add blueberries (or strawberries, or whatever else is handy) and yogurt cheese on top for some extra YUM. These probably sound pretty dull and possibly health-food-weirdo strange, but they are delicious and feel like a very indulgent treat rather than health food! I quadruple the recipe and freeze what we don't eat. They reheat great. NOTE: These make a thin, nearly crepe-like pancake. If you like a thicker pancake, use less liquid.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
We managed to pull together all the ingredients for this recipe (thanks to our Trader Joes not terribly far away) & it was made in no time at all! Very tasty pancakes & they made for a wonderful breakfast experience! Even managed a pint of fresh blueberries with which to top them off! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef event]
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-bran cereal (not All-Bran-it's too heavy(I've found Trader Joe's high-fiber cereal works best)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whey (or water or milk)
- 1⁄3 cup powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 cup blueberries (or other fruit)
- 3 tablespoons nonfat yogurt cheese
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Put cereal in a small bowl with enough whey to cover it. Let it soak while you put together the rest of the ingredients.
- Put the remainder of the whey, along with all the other ingredients, in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Add the moistened All Bran (it should be very mushy) and mix again.
- Drop by 1/3 cupfuls on a hot skillet or griddle. Flip when the top gets bubbled and cook until golden.
- Top with a generous helping of yogurt cheese, which adds protein and seems like cream cheese or cream, without the fat. Add your strawberries or blueberries and some maple syrup!