Recipe by theforeignland
A delicious, simple base recipe for super moist, whole wheat banana muffins made with less sugar and no oil! I made mine with walnuts and cranberries. Makes 12 muffins.
- 354.88 ml whole wheat flour
- 59.14 ml oat bran
- 59.14 ml tbsps granulated sugar
- 29.58 ml granulated sugar
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2 large bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 egg
- 59.14 ml low-fat milk
- 59.14 ml water
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 4.92 ml lemon juice
- 177.44 ml cranberries
- 118.29 ml walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F/180 deg Celsius.
- Prep a muffin tray with muffin liners or grease well, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift in the whole wheat flour. Add in oat bran, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add in your bananas and mash them up if you have not already done so with your whisk or the back of a fork. Add in one egg and mix well. Add the milk, water, vanilla extract and lemon juice and beat the mixture well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, first using a whisk to incorporate the batter. Switch to a spatula or a wooden spoon and mix the batter. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- At this point, you can fold in your add-ins. I added in cranberries and walnuts, but you could probably do any other combination of fruits/nuts.
- Spoon the mixture into your greased/lined muffin tins. Bake in your preheated oven until a toothpick to the center comes out clean, or the tops are golden brown (but not burnt!), approximately 20 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool before serving.