Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This makes 4 wonderful loaves. They are jam-packed with all good stuff. You really could add any other grains that you might have.
- 6 cups milk (can use part yogurt, sour milk, buttermilk, sour cream, regular milk)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 tablespoons honey or 6 tablespoons white sugar or 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon honey or 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 shredded wheat biscuits (cereal, crumbled)
- 1 1⁄2 cups oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1 1⁄4 cups toasted wheat bran
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 4 -6 cups white flour
- In a saucepan heat and cool to lukewarm the first 4 ingredients.
- In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in warm water and add honey or sugar.
- In a very large bowl mix the shredded wheat, oatmeal, cornmeal, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, and wheat bran.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry mixture and mix well.
- Add the yeast and beaten egg and mix well.
- Add the white flour until it forms a good dough.
- Knead about 100 times.
- Put in buttered or oiled bowl and rise once till doubled.
- Punch down and divide into quarters.
- Shape into loaves and put into four greased pans.
- Rise till double.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
- If they start to get too brown, cover them with foil.
- ENJOY !