Midwest Foodie's Note:
I decided to get back on Weight Watchers and was googling recipes. I found one for white bean turkey chili, but decided to put my own spin on it. It is so good, hearty, and has a nice creamy and smoky taste. I only used one teaspoon of red pepper flakes because I was going to be serving it to my 2.5 year old. I was shocked she actually had like 4 hearty bites and was dipping her spoon in the liquid and slurping it up. This is a huge feat for my very picky eater. My hubby said it was a keeper. Also, I used two pounds regular ground turkey and one pound extra lean ground turkey. This recipe can also be OAMC and you could probably get 2 or 3 dinners out of it, depending on your family size. You could also use your slow cooker, just brown the turkey and your spices in a skillet, then transfer the rest of the ingredients into the slowcooker for the exception of the half and half. I would add that 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy! If you are counting points, there is 12 servings. We had hearty helpings, so I would say 6 to 8 servings if you are not restricting your portions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 lbs ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried sage or 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 4 (15 ounce) cans of white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1Heat a large heavy bottom pot over medium heat.
- 2Add oil after pot is hot.
- 3Cook onions until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- 5Add the spices and cook for another 2 minutes. (If using fresh sage, do not add until the very end.).
- 6Add the ground turkey and cook all the way through, until meat is white.
- 7Stir in the chicken stock and half and half.
- 8If you are using fresh sage, add it at this point.
- 9Lower the heat to low, and let the flavor incorporate, about 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 10Serve with low fat cheddar or Mexican style cheese, low fat sour cream, chopped onion, and/or chopped fresh cilantro for garnish.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy White Bean Turkey Chili
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 332.5
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 80.5 mg
- Sodium 584.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 31.7 g