Recipe by Kasha
Low Fat, Low calorie salad with interesting tastes. Fish sauce, a table condiment from Southeast Asia, is made from salted fish and aromatics. Quite pungent, it mellows wonderfully when combined with other ingredients. Look for it in the Asian aisle of most supermarkets. 3 pts per serving.
Top Review by DinnerBelle
I've recently discovered wheat berries, and my family loves them so I prowl around frequently looking for different recipes. This was a winner; it has a great combination of flavors, it's really healthy and it's easy to make! I did do some tweaking, for starters I doubled the recipe to feed my family of four (two teenage boys). We had some leftover, but not much. To the dressing I added 2 Tablespoons of canola oil and at least that much honey (was out of brown sugar). Without these, I thought the dressing tasted thin and sharp but with them it was balanced and still low fat. And I used a pound of shrimp. Thanks, Kasha, great recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup wheat berries, picked over for small stones
- 6 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 12)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 medium seedless cucumber, peeled, halved and chopped
- 6 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the wheat berries in a medium pot, cover with 3 inches of water, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring once or twice. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender, about 50 minutes. Drain and cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, rinse out the cooking pot, fill halfway with water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the shrimp, reduce the heat, and simmer until the shrimp are pink and firm, about 2 minutes. Drain in a colander set in the sink and refresh under cool water. Roughly chop the shrimp.
- To make the dressing, whisk the lime juice, fish sauce and brown sugar together in a small bowl until the sugar dissolves.
- Toss the wheat berries, shrimp, cucumber, radishes, basil and mint in a salad bowl. Pour the prepared dressing over the salad and toss to coat. If desired, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- POINTS value per serving (1 1/4 cups): 3
- Yields 4 servings.