Low Fat, Low calorie salad with interesting tastes. Fish sauce, a table condiment from Southeast Asia, is made from salted fish and aromatics. Quite pungent, it mellows wonderfully when combined with other ingredients. Look for it in the Asian aisle of most supermarkets. 3 pts per serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup wheat berries, picked over for small stones
- 6 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 12)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 medium seedless cucumber, peeled, halved and chopped
- 6 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1Place the wheat berries in a medium pot, cover with 3 inches of water, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring once or twice. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender, about 50 minutes. Drain and cool to room temperature.
- 2Meanwhile, rinse out the cooking pot, fill halfway with water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the shrimp, reduce the heat, and simmer until the shrimp are pink and firm, about 2 minutes. Drain in a colander set in the sink and refresh under cool water. Roughly chop the shrimp.
- 3To make the dressing, whisk the lime juice, fish sauce and brown sugar together in a small bowl until the sugar dissolves.
- 4Toss the wheat berries, shrimp, cucumber, radishes, basil and mint in a salad bowl. Pour the prepared dressing over the salad and toss to coat. If desired, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- 5POINTS value per serving (1 1/4 cups): 3
- 6Yields 4 servings.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Wheat Berry and Shrimp Salad With Thai Vinaigrette
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 52.8
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 54.0 mg
- Sodium 776.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: