Recipe by tessalationxo
This recipe is really great because it can be used as a base as additional ingredients such as raisins or nuts can be used. In this recipe I have substituted all whole wheat flour, skim milk with lemon juice for the buttermilk and egg whites for the egg in this recipe successfully. You can also use honey in place of the brown sugar. These freeze wonderfully. I make a large batch, freeze them and then pop them out when I'm ready to eat them!
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips or 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries or 1⁄2 cup any type nuts or 1⁄2 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- Mix together skim milk and lemon juice and then combine with wheat bran and; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Beat together applesauce, egg whites, sugar and vanilla and add to milk/bran mixture.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Stir flour mixture into milk mixture, until just blended. It's okay if its still a bit lumpy, as this will help it be light and airy.
- Fold in whatever dried fruit/chocolate chips/nuts you'd like, or just leave them plain! NOTE: depending on the sweetness of what you add (ie chocolate chips or sweetened dried fruit) you may want to adjust the amount of sugar you put in the batter.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool and enjoy!