Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Warm, filling, and healthy! The cooking time includes 8 hours for chilling before cooking.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup canned artichoke heart, drained and chopped
- 8 cups cubed Italian bread
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- oregano sprig (optional)
- heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, and garlic, and saute vegetable mixture 6 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat and stir in artichoke hearts. Set aside.
- Arrange italian bread cubes in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon zucchini mixture evenly over cubes, and sprinkle with cheeses.
- Combine egg substitute and remaining ingredients (except oregano sprigs) in a large bowl; stir with whisk. Pour egg mixture over zucchini mixture. Cover with foil; chill in refrigerator for 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Bake strata, covered, until bubbly. Garnish with oregano sprigs if desired.
I have never made a strata before and this was a pretty nice introduction. I wasn't sure how long to cook it or what the texture should be like. I cooked it about 70 minutes and it was soft and somewhat mushy. But the flavor was pretty good. Thanks for sharing! Fall PAC 2207