Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe from Carl Lewis' Very Vegetarian. I make these muffins every couple of weeks and modify slightly each time. They make a very yummy and nutritious breakfast. My boyfriend doesn't like raisins and loves chocolate so I always drop the raisins add 1/2 cup or so of mini chocolate chips. I also frequently add 2-4 mashed bananas as well as some wheat bran. I also reduce the oil or eliminate it altogether.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup soy flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice (or mace)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (I use turbinado sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup molasses (I use blackstrap molasses)
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat over to 375°F; prepare a 12-muffin tin with paper liners or non-stick spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, sugar, raisins and flax seeds (If you don't have ground flax seeds you can puree whole flax seeds with a couple of tablespoons of water and just add them to the wet ingredients).
- In a small bowl, whisk the molasses, applesauce, soymilk and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until the mixture is blended.
- Distribute batter evenly in the 12-muffin tin.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out mostly clean.
Not near enough add-ins. They are fine and tasty if you like molasses muffins. The molasses completely dominates the taste of everything else. I highly suggest if you are making these to at least add 1 cup of raisins.