Top Review by Debbwl
We really enjoyed how low fat and much healthier these brownies are. Did use the addition of chocolate chips suggested I the intro. Made twice as the first time I used a 8x8 pan recommend in step three and while they tasted ok I have seen fatter pancakes. The second time (used for photo) I baked in a loaf pan and increased the bake time by 8 minutes. Both times I ran the tofu through the food processer and used only whole wheat flour. We both also thought the cinnamon was a nice addition. Thanks for the post.
- 3 ounces firm silken tofu
- 1⁄4 cup soy yogurt
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar (unpacked)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour (I use whole spelt flour)
- 1⁄4 cup flour (I use spelt flour)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree the tofu, yogurt, water and applesauce until smooth and fluffy. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Use a fork to vigorously mix in the sugar and vanilla.
- Sift in flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Use a spatula to mix batter until smooth. Transfer to an 8X8 greased baking pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 325°F/150°C for 25 minutes or until set.
- Remove from the oven and let the brownies cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.