Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a quick, extremely healthy vegan version of traditional chili. You can't even tell the difference! It came from the website for Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine originally, but I tweaked a little to make it even healthier.
- 118.29 ml boiling water
- 118.29 ml textured vegetable protein
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 118.29 ml water or 118.29 ml vegetable stock
- 538.64 g canmixed beans
- 538.64 g can kidney beans
- 2 (1077.28 g) can whole tomatoes, sliced,juice included
- 236.59 ml fresh corn or 236.59 ml frozen corn
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced (optional)
- 4.92-9.85 ml chili powder
- 7.39 ml dried oregano
- 7.39 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml cayenne (more for spicier beans)
- Pour the boiling water over the TVP and let stand until softened.
- Braise the onion, bell peppers and garlic in water until onion is clear, then add remaining ingredients, including TVP.
- Simmer for at least 30 minutes.
This is an exceptional recipe! I normally prefer chili with BITE, but this recipe is SO EASY and FLAVORFUL that it is a crowd pleaser! I am not Vegan, nor are the crowds I serve it to, but I have had no complaints on this chili to date and with the TVP, no one even realizes they aren't eating meat! :) Also great on the pocketbook if making chili in quantity. It only takes about $0.45 worth of TVP...way better than the price of ground meat. I have customized it to my preferences...Methods are the same, but here is the ingredient list I use... 1/2 can Veggie Broth 1 c. TVP 1 Onion 1/2 each Gr, Orange, Yellow & Red Bell Peppers 4 cloves Garlic, Minced 1 1/2 can Veggie Broth 1 can Great Norther Beans 1 can Kidney Beans 2 cans Stewed Tomatoes w/Onion/Celery/Pepper 3.5 T Chili Powder 3 T Paprika 1 T Oregano 1 T Cumin 1 t Cayenne 1/2 t White Pepper Salt Pepper
This was excellent. I added a mushrooms (I love me some mushrooms) and some Masa Harina (which I always do to chili). Next time I think I'll toss in a chipotle to add some bite, but even without it, this was still terrific.
Very good recipe thanks! I used quinoa in place of tvp and it turned out fab. Even my non vegan bf liked it with a little soy cheese melted on top :)