Prep 16 mins
Cook 50 mins
I made this banana bread and couldn't believe how great it tasted! It doesn't even have sugar, eggs or butter! If you're looking for a healthy, low fat vegan loaf this is the right recipe to look at!
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas
- 6 tablespoons apple juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄3 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- In a medium bowl, mash banana with a fork.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients with the banana, mix.
- Pour liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Add nuts or raisins.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan and bake for about 50 minutes.
It was a little bland but I think it depends how ripe the bananas are. I was able to fix it by adding some Earth's balance butter and drizzling agave on it while it was still warm...made it perfect plus I added cinnamon to the mix which made a difference. So next time I will add more cinnamon, definitely needs a little salt and more raisins and/or a little raw sugar. Good healthy recipe.
Very, very plain -- and I'm used to milder, bland-to-most-people kind of food. It was moist, yes, and has a great texture. I should followed my instinct to add more bananas and something else to add flavor. I did use applesauce & maple syrup to replace the apple juice. FYI, apple juice (unless *not* from concentrate) is basically flavored sugar.
I made a double batch and have 6 mini loafs. They will be fine for breakfast toast with a little peanut butter on the the side of my eggs.
This was very moist, I tasted it right out of the oven. I used half whole wheat/half almond flour. flaxseed oil for the cooking oil, I didn't have apple juice so I used unsweetened apple sauce and added a tablespoon of agave sweetener. I love healthy food and eating this made me feel good.