Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This soup may include dough balls if desired, but is healthier without them. It would probably taste great with cornmeal dumplings and be healthier when made with those. A recipe for dough balls is included here.
- 1 veal shank, meaty
- 4 quarts water
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 pint celery, diced
- 1 pint potato, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 tablespoon margarine (for dough balls)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder, rounded
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 -3 tablespoon water (or more if needed)
- Put veal shin in water and cook atop stove until meat is very soft.
- Cool and then remove meat from bone and chop it into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Strain broth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add celery, potatoes, carrots, and onions.
- Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Prepare dough balls by sifting dry ingredients together and then cutting margarine into sifted dry ingredients.
- Add just enough water to make a stiff dough.
- Work dough with floured hands and form into pea-sized balls.
- Add balls to boiling soup broth and cook about 25 minutes longer.
- Add meat, stir, and serve.