Recipe by ChefWhiz
This soup may include dough balls if desired, but is healthier without them. It would probably taste great with cornmeal dumplings and be healthier when made with those. A recipe for dough balls is included here.
- 1 veal shank, meaty
- 4 quarts water
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 pint celery, diced
- 1 pint potato, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 tablespoon margarine (for dough balls)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder, rounded
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 -3 tablespoon water (or more if needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put veal shin in water and cook atop stove until meat is very soft.
- Cool and then remove meat from bone and chop it into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Strain broth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add celery, potatoes, carrots, and onions.
- Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Prepare dough balls by sifting dry ingredients together and then cutting margarine into sifted dry ingredients.
- Add just enough water to make a stiff dough.
- Work dough with floured hands and form into pea-sized balls.
- Add balls to boiling soup broth and cook about 25 minutes longer.
- Add meat, stir, and serve.