Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This soup may include dough balls if desired, but is healthier without them. It would probably taste great with cornmeal dumplings and be healthier when made with those. A recipe for dough balls is included here.
- Put veal shin in water and cook atop stove until meat is very soft.
- Cool and then remove meat from bone and chop it into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Strain broth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add celery, potatoes, carrots, and onions.
- Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Prepare dough balls by sifting dry ingredients together and then cutting margarine into sifted dry ingredients.
- Add just enough water to make a stiff dough.
- Work dough with floured hands and form into pea-sized balls.
- Add balls to boiling soup broth and cook about 25 minutes longer.
- Add meat, stir, and serve.