Recipe by kennedyfish
This is a quick, healthy, yummy dessert that everybody in my family loved! From the August issue of Better Homes & Gardens -- It took less than 20 minutes to prepare and you can customize it by adding your favorite berries. Sweet with only 1/2 cup sugar in the whole thing! The recipe called for 1 Tbsp. fresh snipped basil to be added with the dry ingredients, but I omitted it and it was wonderful!
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries or 2 1⁄2 cups raspberries or 2 1⁄2 cups cranberries or 2 1⁄2 cups blackberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease 8-inch round cake pan, line bottom with parchment paper, grease. Arrange 1 1/2 cups berries in bottom of pan. Set aside. In bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, basil (if desired), baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, milk and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until combined; pour over berries. Spread evenly.
- Bake 40-45 minute or until pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan 5 minute Run knife around edge of pan to loosen sides. Invert. Remove parchment. Top with remaining berries, and basil.
- You can make an optional glaze, by whisking together 1/3 cup powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons milk and 1 teaspoons lemon juice. Lightly brush on warm cake.