Cooked chicken breast may be used in place of the tuna, if desired add in 1 cup low-fat grated cheddar cheese to the soup mixture, this is only optional --- for Weight Watcher's program 1 serving = 7 points :)
- 4 cups dry whole wheat fusilli (can use penne pasta or similar)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 (6 ounce) cans solid white tuna, water packed, well drained (can use 3 cans)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans fat free cream of celery soup or 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 cup skim milk or 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, well drained
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese (or to taste)
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 11 x 7 or 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray (or use a casserole dish large enough to hold the mixture).
- Boil the pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente; drain then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add in onion and tuna; toss to combine.
- In a saucepan heat soup with milk until smooth.
- Stir in mushrooms mayonnaise, Mrs Dash seasoning, garlic powder and black pepper until combined; pour into the bowl and toss to combine.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven then sprinkle with cheddar cheese, return to oven for 2-4 minutes to melt the cheese.
I was craving a tuna noodle casserole and searched 3 web sites before deciding on this one. Thanks so much it totally hit the spot. A few changes I made: sauteed onions and garlic in butter, added soup, milk and heated in a pan. Used a whole bag of no yolk noodles and added about 1 C frozen peas and carrots. I used 3 cans tuna and mixed in 1 C shredded white cheddar. Finally - topped with breadcrumbs. EXCELLENT. Thanks!
A Big 5 Stars! This was so flavorful and creamy, yet not heavy. I did use egg noodles instead of wheat fusilli just because I had them. Counting my weight watcher points never tasted so good. Also a big hit with my picky family. Thanks Kittencal for another great recipe!
Comfort food heaven! Made this for my DH and I on a cold winter night in this last weekend. I halved the recipe since it was just the two of us and used a 1.5 qt round baking dish. I used the cream of celery soup and skipped the mayo altogether. I added the half a cup of grated cheese into the mixture and sprinkled just a little on the top at the very end. I baked for a total of 25 minutes, since we were getting impatient and because I was making a smaller amount - it was hot through and through. I'm also embarrassed to say, we ate the entire thing in one night! It was that good! Made for Kittencal-tag-a-thon.