Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Campbell's - take a back seat. This soup tastes much better, with only a fraction of the sodium.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 quart reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 1 quart low-sodium V8 juice
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk (optional)
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon sodium-free margarine
- Dice potatoes and onions.
- Place in soup pot and just cover with water.
- Add butter.
- Boil until potatoes are tender but not too soft.
- Add tomatoes and juice.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Just before serving stir in milk and seasonings.
This was great. I did however make several modifications. I increased the amount of tomato juice to 1 1/2 quarts and decreased the v8 juice to 1/2 quart. Every thing else I did the same except except that I used my immersion blender to make it smoother.
This soup was pretty good, but I had to overdo it on the spices (dill, garlic, rosemary, thyme, basil, parsley, onion powder) to get rid of the V8 taste.
Good flavor but the next time that I make this I will double the amount of potatoes and onions. I will also add 1 pint of half & half to make this soup more creamy.