Recipe by Suzy_Q
Everyone loves this even die-hard carnivores and people who dislike healthy food. You can play around with quantities or substitute as you see fit. I've never made the same batch twice. You can use any bread you like: wheat, corn, spelt, rye, pumpernickel, potato etc. Day old (leave out on the counter for a day) or toasted bread works best. If you use fresh herbs just increase the amount you use. This may seem like a labor intensive recipe it's just really a lot of ingredients. Plus, since I don't cook a turkey, this is my main to-do on Thanksgiving. I look forward to making this every year. I start it in the morning while the parade is on TV and the house fills with the wonderful smell of all the fresh, seasonal ingredients. Very healthy too!
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1/2 stick) or 1⁄2 cup oil
- 10 cups bread, diced (12 slices of bread)
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups celery, sliced
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 lb chestnuts
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms (oyster, cremini, button, portobella)
- 1 large onion
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1 cup prune, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups broth
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup salsify, peeled and sliced (optional)
- 1 -2 egg (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh sage, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh marjoram or 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon herbamare seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare all of your veggies and herbs so there ready, reserving scraps. Put scraps (onion and celery ends, apple peels and core, herbs stems etc.) into a pot and cover with 1 quart of water to make stock. Simmer while you are preparing the rest of the stuffing.
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Make an X in each chestnut with a sharp knife (if you are using fresh), sprinkle with oil and salt and mix. Place in an oven safe dish and roast at 400 for 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Melt butter or oil in a large dutch oven or pot over med-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add celery, fennel, apple, prunes and salsify. Add dried herbs if you are using them. If fresh don't and them yet. Salt and pepper lightly, mix well and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Strain broth.
- Add wild rice to veggie mixture and 1 1/2 Celsius broth. Lightly salt and pepper again. Stir and cover, cooking over low heat for about 30 minutes, mixing occasionally. Add mushrooms, fresh herbs and a last salt and peppering, mix and cook another 10-15 minutes (or until wild rice is cooked). During this process you may add more broth if needed to cook the rice.
- Remove from heat and let sit 10 minutes uncovered.
- Separately, beat egg(s) if using and mix into the bread cubes. Add veggie/wild rice mixture and chestnuts to the bread/egg mixture and combine thoroughly. At this point you may pour into a casserole dish, cover and chill until using.
- Before serving, bake uncovered in a 350°F oven for about 20 minutes or until slightly golden and crispy on top. Serve.