Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Replacing full-fat coconut milk with a light version reduces fat, not flavor.
Make and share this Healthy Thai Chicken-Coconut Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 4 ounces cellophane noodles
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 Thai red chili peppers or 1 jalapeno pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (or lime)
- 4 tablespoons Thai fish sauce, divided
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, sliced (3 cups)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 5 oz each)
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus
- fresh fresh cilantro stem, for garnish
- Place noodles in a bowl; add enough warm water to cover and let sit until soft, about 15 minutes. Drain. Combine broth, pepper, garlic, ginger, lemon zest, lime zest, lemon juice and 3 tbsp fish sauce in a medium saucepan. Season with salt. Bring to a simmer, add noodles and cook 3 minutes more. Using tongs, transfer noodles to a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm. Add mushrooms to broth; season with salt, if desired; simmer 3 minutes more. Add chicken and coconut milk and simmer, stirring, until chicken is just cooked, about 3 minutes. Stir in spinach until it begins to wilt, about 1 minute. Add chopped cilantro and season with remaining 1 tbsp fish sauce. Using tongs, divide noodles among 4 bowls. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of pepper.
- 317 calories per serving, 5 g fat (4 g saturated), 38.3 g carbs, 2.5 g fiber, 30 g protein.