Recipe by Cookin-jo
I played around with a standard recipe to add more vegetables to an already great soup. It's something my kids ask for instead of chili these days.
Top Review by Lorrie in Montreal
Jo....this is a great meal on a cold night! Quite quick to put together as well.Most of the ingredients are staples in a well-stocked pantry. My guys loved it...I would have added more corn but I did'nt have a full bag in the freezer. I sliced up a couple of tortillas and fried them to put on top as croutons...next time to reduce oil I will use cooking spray and bake them ahead.I served it with a bit of macaroni in the bottom of the bowl and cornbread on the side. Made for Cooking Photo Forum Swap #7.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil (or olive oil)
- 1 large onion (sliced or diced)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (I prefer lean)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups water
- 1 (35 g) envelope taco seasoning mix (regular or spicy, your call)
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
- 1 -2 cup frozen corn (more is better)
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans (rinsed and drained) or 1 (19 ounce) can beans, of your choice (rinsed and drained)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large soup pot and saute onion a couple minutes.
- Add beef and brown.
- Drain fat off the onions and beef and return to the pot.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, seasoning and carrots. Simmer for at least 45 minutes, reducing heat to low.
- Add corn and beans and simmer 15 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper.