Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I played around with a standard recipe to add more vegetables to an already great soup. It's something my kids ask for instead of chili these days.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil (or olive oil)
- 1 large onion (sliced or diced)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (I prefer lean)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups water
- 1 (35 g) envelope taco seasoning mix (regular or spicy, your call)
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
- 1 -2 cup frozen corn (more is better)
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans (rinsed and drained) or 1 (19 ounce) can beans, of your choice (rinsed and drained)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large soup pot and saute onion a couple minutes.
- Add beef and brown.
- Drain fat off the onions and beef and return to the pot.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, seasoning and carrots. Simmer for at least 45 minutes, reducing heat to low.
- Add corn and beans and simmer 15 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper.
Jo....this is a great meal on a cold night! Quite quick to put together as well.Most of the ingredients are staples in a well-stocked pantry. My guys loved it...I would have added more corn but I did'nt have a full bag in the freezer. I sliced up a couple of tortillas and fried them to put on top as croutons...next time to reduce oil I will use cooking spray and bake them ahead.I served it with a bit of macaroni in the bottom of the bowl and cornbread on the side. Made for Cooking Photo Forum Swap #7.
This was really good. I keep cooked hamburger in my freezer. I didn't use oil and added onion powder instead of onions. I used crushed tomatoes instead of diced as my kids don't like "hunks" of tomatoes. I also used beef broth instead of water. I loved the addition of black beans to this soup but did care for the carrots so would not us them next time. Added finely shredded cheddar cheese to the top of each bowl before serving. Will make more often with the changes that were made. Made for 123 tag.
Outstanding soup and easy to prepare. As another reviewer suggested I used one can of Rotel type tomatoes. The only thing I changed was to omit the oil when sauteeing the onion. Instead I used beef broth. This makes a hearty soup that will fill you up, and is healthy at the same time. Thanks for the recipe.