Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 25 mins
Really good taco salad recipe for the diet-conscious. From KAthleen Daeleman's Cooking Thin.
Make and share this Healthy Taco Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 lb ground chicken breast (white meat only, no fat....personally, I use veggie burgers for this)
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup lime juice, plus 1 lime,zested
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 head romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1 mango, peeled,seeded,and cut into 1 & # 8260,2 inch chunks
- 1 tomato, cored,cut into 6 to 8 wedges
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 3⁄4 cup cooked canned white beans ((I use black beans)) or 3⁄4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained (fat free, sugar free)
- 1 avocado, peeled,seeded and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 (16 ounce) jarsugar free fat free salsa
- 16 baked corn tortilla chips
- 4 pickled jalapeno peppers ((I use fresh))
- In a medium saute pan over medium high heat, cook onions in 1 to 2 tablespoons water until softened and cooked through, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cook covered, stirring once or twice, add more water if necessary to keep onions from burning.
- Add chicken meat, and cook until crumbly and golden, about 7 to 9 minutes.
- Add citrus juice, zest, and taco seasoning mix, stir until well combined.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Set aside to cool.
- Arrange lettuce on large platter with remaining ingredients.
- Top with chicken, garnish with baked chips and jalapenos.