Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Based on chef #29667's Fantastic Taco Casserole, but tweaked to fit my new healthy eating program :)
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 (15 ounce) cannon-fat refried beans
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 2 cups baked corn tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
- 12 ounces low-fat cheese, shredded
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- low-fat sour cream (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease an 8x8 baking dish.
- Brown ground beef and onion together and drain, then stir in seasonings.
- Heat refried beans on stove or in microwave, then stir in the salsa.
- Put corn chips on bottom of 8x8 dish, pour beans over corn chips, then add the beef. Sprinkle cheese and green onions over top.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is sufficiently melted.
- Garnish with tomatoes and sour cream.
Absolutely wonderful!!!! My nine year old even loved it!!! So easy to put together and quick. I couldn't believe it was so healthy. I was expecting it to be a bit thicker in consistency but I have to say well worth the use of a spoon!!! We have found ourselves a new family meal.