This wonderful recipe is my adaptation of a Cooking Light One. It has a wonderful flavor, and is so much different from your usual pesto! The almonds retain their crunch even through blending, and you end up with a sweet but tangy and crunchy pesto! Mmm! Prep time doesn't include soaking the tomatoes :-)
- 4 -5 cups linguine (whole wheat, fresh and refrigerated)
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato (not oil-packed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup lightly packed basil leaves
- 14 almonds, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese (reduced-fat)
- 1 cup water, leftover from cooking the pasta (see step one)
- Soak sun-dried tomatoes in water for about 35-45 minutes. Drain water.
- Cook pasta according to the package directions, omitting salt and fat (note: you can make more pasta, make how much pasta looks right to you. 4-5 cups is approximate.). Drain through a sieve over a bowl, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid (save more if you like your pesto thinner). Divide pasta among plates.
- While pasta cooks, place tomatoes and next 7 ingredients (through black pepper) in a food processor; process until finely chopped.
- Add feta cheese and leftover drained pasta cooking water and pulse until incorporated, but there still are feta chunks. (add more drained pasta water if you prefer yours thinner).
- Scoop pesto over pasta. Serve with side salad and bread, as well as additional feta or parmesan to top with.