This is a standby breakfast for DH and I in the summer time when tomatoes are ripe and flavorful. You could use this for lunch or dinner also. We have breakfast for dinner about once a week here.
- Place bacon on paper plate covered with 2 layers of paper towels.
- Cover with one paper towel and microwave on High for 2 minutes.
- Flip bacon over and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute more or till desired crispness.
- Spray a 7" non stick skillet or omelet pan with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat till warm.
- Pour in egg substitute.
- DO NOT STIR.
- Put bread in toaster or toaster oven set for desired doneness.
- Cook egg substitute for about 5 minutes or until egg is mostly set.
- With heat proof spatula loosen egg from bottom of pan.
- DO NOT FLIP.
- Season with pepper.
- Put cheese down one side of egg and turn other side over cheese.
- Remove from heat.
- Cut omelet in 1/2 with spatula in pan.
- Spread margarine on bread.
- Assemble sandwich, "buttered" slice, 1/2 of omelet, 2 large slices of tomato, 2 pieces of bacon (split in 1/2), "buttered" slice.
- Okay I realize the directions are a little long for a sandwich, but this really is easy. I just wanted to be specific as I cook all three parts at one time so nothing gets cold before the sammie is assembled.
Great healthy sandwich! This sandwich is as tasty as it is simple. Made using fat free cheddar cheese and would not change a thing. Thanks so much for the post.
Made this for my son for breakfast. I used hamburger rolls instead of bread and I didn't toast them. I also used mayo instead of butter as that is what my son prefers. I followed the rest of the recipe as written. My son enjoyed this for breakfast. Made for Spring PAC 2009.
This was such a simple & easy recipe. I omitted the turkey bacon and I used an english muffin instead of bread. The tomato gives this breakfast sandwich such a fresh taste to it. Be careful if you're eating it to go, the tomato juice will drip off the sandwich. Thanks so much for posting this.