Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
After I found out that my favorite "sugar free" bran flakes cereal actually has added sweetener -maltitol- in it (grrr.. all these 'hidden' chemical sweeteners..) I went looking for a really healthy recipe. The only solution nowadays seems to be- if you really want to eat healthy, you have to just make it yourself! I found this originally on Mr breakfast.com and tweaked it a bit to omit the sugar. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup natural bran
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans, finely ground
- 2 tablespoons apple juice concentrate or 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together all dry ingredients. Add milk and water and mix well.
- Cut parchment paper into two 12 x 16 pieces.
- Lay one piece of parchment on a flat surface and scoop half of the dough onto the center. Flatten dough by hand and cover entire parchment with clear plastic wrap. Roll out the dough over the plastic wrap.
- The goal is to make the dough extremely thin with areas of near transparency. You may notice that you are in effect making one huge bran flake at this point.
- Remove the plastic wrap and place the dough (on the parchment) onto a 14 x 16 flat sheet pan. Cook for 10 minutes checking often after 5 minutes. A dough this thin will burn easily if left in too long.
- The resulting product after cooking will be a leathery thin cracker (crunchy at the edges).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Repeat the rolling and cooking process with the other half of your dough.
- Reduce oven temperature to 275 degrees.
- After both huge bran flakes have completely cooled -- rip and crack them into the sized flakes you are most familiar with (about 3/4 of an inch).
- Place all flakes on a large cookie sheet and cook at the reduced temperature for 20 minutes -- stirring the and flipping the flakes every five minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow flakes to cool completely.
- Serve with milk and fresh fruit. Stores well in a sealed container for up to two weeks.
- For Vegan use only the soy milk.