Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
A fun and impressive way to eat healthy. Rice, vegetables and tofu stuffed into bell peppers, covered with tomato soup and cheese, who could resist?
- 4 -6 bell peppers
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, chopped fine
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (canned or frozen are o.k., cook "or" nuke them as normal)
- 1 cup tofu, crumbled with your hands
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 1⁄4 cup shoyu (soy sauce)
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat cheese, grated
- To prepare the peppers: Slice the top off and remove all the seeds.
- Place the peppers in boiling water for about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the boiling water and shock under cold water.
- Put aside.
- Saute the onions and mushrooms in a big saute pan until tender.
- Add in the mixed vegetables and the tofu.
- Add the shoyu and let simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Arrange the peppers in a baking dish.
- Fill each pepper with the tofu mixture (extra stuffing is great on its own, Just warm it up).
- Pour the tomato soup over each pepper.
- Sprinkle the peppers with cheese.
- If you like, you can put the tops back on for an impressive presentation.
- Put the lid on the baking dish and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes (until the peppers are somewhat tender and the cheese is all melted).
I'm not going to give this any stars until I make it again because I messed it up. I had put them together the night before but we didn't get around to eating them the next day, so I stuck them in the freezer for a few days. When I finally baked them, they were really soggy. In retrospect, perhaps my mistake was that I let them thaw before baking. Maybe they would have been better if I had baked them right out of the freezer. Anyway, I think they would have been really good if not so soggy, so I just didn't want anybody else to make the same mistake!
I really liked this dish. My girlfriend is all into health food, and she found it and made it. I didn't know healthy food good taste so good!