Recipe by GingerlyJ
I got this recipe from Preventions fiber up slim down cookbook. It is a healthy take. on the comfort food classic
Top Review by smellyvegetarian
This is definitely a keeper for us--five stars all around the table (including the 8 month old who gobbled the peas LOL). I didn't realize until it thawed that my chicken was skin on/bone-in, so I just pulled off the skin and simmered as-is, deboning and shredding the chicken in the last 5 minutes while the peas cooked. I skipped the pimentos as I didn't have any but otherwise followed the recipe. I did add a bit of extra garlic and salt in the end, but that was to enhance the yummy flavor that was already there. Thanks so much for posting! Made for Zaar Cookbook Tag. ETA: I found the original recipe on the Prevention page and it lists the chicken broth amount as one 14.5 oz can.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minched garlic
- 1 diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes
- low sodium chicken broth
- 8 manzanilla olives, halved
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup drained diced pimento
- sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- heat oil in a dutch oven.
- add chicken and cook until browned.
- return the dutch oven to the stove add the onion, garlic and green pepper and cook about five minutes.
- stir in the rice, cumin and turmeric and cook 1 minute.
- add the chicken, tomatoes, broth and olives.
- simmer about thirty minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- stir in peas and pimentos and cook 5 more minutes.