Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A filling, but low-calorie side dish.
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow squash, approx one medium sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, approx one medium sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups water
- Slice one medium yellow squash and one medium zucchini (Will be about 1 1/2 cups of each).
- Place squash, zucchini, butter and water into a 12-inch sauce pan with lid or a large pot with lid on medium heat and allow to steam. Stir every 5-10 minutes. (NOTE: Margarine may be substituted for butter to reduce fat.).
- Allow to steam until sliced squash and zucchini is soft. Salt to taste.
- Other spices, like pepper, chilli powder, etc. may be added for extra flavor.
We really liked this dish. We couldn't get the yellow squash here in New Zealand at present so used only green zucchini. After steaming it, I used Old Bay seasoning in the butter and it made for a very yummy side dish. Made for PAC 2008.