Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of my bf favorite dishes with a healthy twist. We did the math and this ends up about 380 per serving (2 stuffed noodles). Enjoy sans guilt!
- 118.29 ml onion (chopped)
- 118.29 ml green pepper (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 425.24 g can tomato sauce
- 2 (850.48 g) can chopped tomatoes (drained)
- 4.92 ml thyme
- 14.79 ml basil
- 14.79 ml oregano
- 4.92 ml crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 hot Italian turkey sausage (removed from casing and crumbled)
- 473.18 ml fresh spinach (packed)
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml part-skim ricotta cheese
- 236.59 ml fat-free cottage cheese
- 236.59 ml mozzarella cheese
- 226.79 g package manicotti (cooked)
- Combine onion, green pepper, garlic, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, thyme, basil, oregano, red pepper in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat. When heated through reduce heat to low and cover. (simmer about 1 hour).
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet and saute spinach until wilted. Set aside to cool. When cool chop the spinach.
- Add sausage to skillet spinach was in and cook until browned. Drain.
- In a bowl, combine spinach, cheeses, sausage.
- Place a layer of sauce in the bottom of a 13 by 9 pan.
- Stuff noodles with cheese, spinach, and sausage and place in pan.
- Top with the rest of the sauce.
- Bake 350 for 30 to 45 minutes.
Great recipe! I used ground turkey instead of sausage and sprinkled mozzarella cheese on top and it was delicious.
We also thought this was a GREAT recipe! Didn't change a thing (ok maybe added abit more garlic cause I can't help myself) and it came out perfectly & with great flavour. I was short on time so one step I did differently is that I made the tomato sauce in an electronic pressure cooker. Awesome recipe, thanks for sharing