Recipe by sbera007
I originally got this recipe from Eating Well magazine. It was a baked beans and sausage dish. We were making bbq chicken on the grill, so I figured why not try it without the sausage. My bf said it was way better than the original recipe, so I thought I should post it. Feel free to experiment with the beans. I have made it with white kidneys beans and it is still yummy. If you are watching your weight this is a great, easy to prepare side dish for the summer months! Note: Make sure to rinse the beans it will cut down the sodium in this dish, so don't be afraid of the nutrition facts. I don't think recipezaar takes into account rinsing the beans when it figures the nutrition information.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces fresh spinach (stems removed and chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 fresh jalapeno (chopped)
- 4 slices center-cut bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans (drained and rinsed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil on medium high heat in a deep skillet or large sauce pan.
- Add spinach, garlic and jalapeno and cook until spinach is wilted (3-4 minutes).
- Meanwhile, whisk together sauce, water, paste, molasses, salt and pepper.
- Add sauce, bacon, and beans to pan.
- Cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer for ten to fifteen minutes.