Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the 1995 "Heart Healthy Cookbook" of delicious healthy recipes, Edina, MN.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons acceptable margarine
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup instant dry milk powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon vegit all-purpose seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons basil
- For spaghetti squash microwave method: With sharp knife, make several deep slashes in squash (this is necessary to keep it from exploding).
- Cook on high in 5 minute increments, turning 1/4 turn each time fro 15-25 minutes (according to size of squash).
- When squash is done, it will be soft when squeezed.
- Slice in half, remove seeds, and pull "spaghetti" strands free with a fork.
- Oven method: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove the seeds.
- Place cut side down in baking pan and add a small amount of water.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- After cooking, pull strand free with a fork.
- For sauce: Combine margarine and arrowroot in saucepan over medium heat, stirring until margarine melts.
- Remove pan from heat; stir in milk.
- Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining ingredients- Heat through and serve over cooked spaghetti squash.