Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
It's a surprisingly tasty recipe made with simple, fresh ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh sweet basil, chopped
- 8 roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped (only use roma tomatoes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, from any market
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb spaghetti
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot.
- Boil tomatoes in water for about 1 minute.
- Scoop the tomatoes out.
- Drain it with cold water to let it cool.
- Take a knife and slice an"X" on the bottom of each tomato.
- Then peel the skin from all the tomatoes and discard.
- Chop the tomatoes.
- Chop the onion and fresh sweet basil.
- Shred the cooked store-bought rotisserie chicken.
- In a nonstick pot, heat the olive oil.
- Saute the chopped onions for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stirring them with the onions.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pot and let simmer for 30-40 minutes, returning occasionally to stir and season.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to package instructions.
- After 30 minutes add the shredded chicken and basil to the pot.
- Just add enough shredded chicken to your liking and refrigerate the rest for some other recipe.
- When chicken is heated through, turn stove off and place spaghetti into pot and toss thoroughly.
- Serve with parmesan cheese if you like.
- Serves 2-3 people.
- Double or triple the recipe for larger groups.
- This can be easily turned into a fabulous vegetarian meal simply by not adding the chicken.
I can't believe that this hasn't been rated yet! It's fresh, tasty, healthy and the instructions are great. I am having this for lunch and will be taking it to work for dinner too! I adopted Em N. for Spring 2009 PAC and I'm really glad I did. Thanks!