1/1 Photo of Healthy Sourdough Whole Grain Waffles and Pancakes
The perfect waffles! Crispy, crunchy on the outside, tender and melt-in-your-mouth inside, and they're good for you too! Our favorite recipe because it's so easy and makes delectable yet healthy whole grain waffles or pancakes that use up that extra starter so it doesn't go to waste. *This is a Grandma Approved Recipe*
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, stir together the starter, flours and water (or milk).
- 2Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest one to twelve hours. I usually mix it the night before.
- 3In the morning while you're waiting for the waffle iron or pancake pan to heat up, mix the egg, oil, and salt into the flour mixture. Just before cooking, stir in the baking soda.
- 4Using a quarter or half cup measuring cup ladle the batter onto the hot pan. For waffles cook according to the waffle iron directions, usually around 5 minutes, for pancakes flip when the edges start to bubble and the surface loses it's gloss.
- 5Notes- You can use your choice of whole grains. I like rice flour, available at Whole Foods or health food stores. It adds a light crunchy texture to waffles. I've also used quinoa, barley, spelt, and coconut flours with great success. (If you use half cornmeal it makes a most excellent supper when topped with chili or beans n cheese!).
- 6This recipe doubles or triples beautifully if you're feeding a crowd.
- 7This recipe doesn't call for sugar, as I've found that using sugar in waffles makes them stick to the waffle iron. Without sugar they never stick (no need to grease the iron) and with the sweet flavor of whole grains you truly won't miss it. For pancakes you can add a tablespoon or two of sugar if you must.
- 8A teaspoon of vanilla in the batter makes them smell terrific as they bake but we don't notice much difference in the taste, so I save that for company :).
- 9I love my Hamilton Beach Flip 'n Fluff ($19 on amazon) and it makes 9 4" waffles with this recipe.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Sourdough Whole Grain Waffles and Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.8
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 624.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: